Merit Badge Counselor
According to the 2017 Guide to Advancement, published by the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), all merit badge counselors must meet the basic qualifications (GTA, 22.214.171.124):
- Be at least 18 years old and of good character
- Be registered with the Boy Scouts of America (position code 42)
- Complete Youth Protection Training
- Be recognized as having the skills and education in the merit badge subjects covered and hold any required qualifications and training as outlined in the Guide to Safe Scouting or the Guide to Advancement—or use others so qualified.
- Be able to work with Scout-age boys.
ScoutCommunity.com helps to simplify the process of becoming a registered and approved merit badge counselor. The basic steps are:
- Register with the BSA
- Complete Youth Protection Training on my.scouting.org
- Complete an Adult Boy Scouts of America registration form with position code 42
- Submit your paperwork to the appropriate council or district person that has been designated for processing merit badge counselors
- Create a profile on ScoutCommunity.com
- Submit a request listing all of the merit badge(s) you wish to mentor
- Supply your qualification of why you’re able to teach each badge, uploading necessary certificates or documentation showing your credentials.
- Wait to receive email notification for both your BSA registration confirmation and approvals for each merit badge you requested to teach.
Below is a short video that will show you how to setup up your profile within ScoutCommunity.com and select the merit badges you wish to mentor.
What you need
What you need
- Council Name
- District Name
- Unit Number and Type (optional... ie. Troop 25)